Friday, June 12, 2009

Love what you do and do what you love


Love what you do and do what you love…simple advice, but perhaps the hardest to follow. How many of us can actually say that they truly love what they do. Be it professionally, socially, romantically?

 

Hard advice to follow mainly because we do things for others and not because we really want to do them let alone love what we do. it is the the nature of human beings to do things in order to create an impression, keep up appearances or keep up with the Jones'. sad but true.


Lets take it from a professional perspective. There are millions of us who have taken a specific career path because our parents or relatives said we should. So we end being lawyers and doctors not because it is our passion but because we were guided towards that profession. I know countless friends who have taken up a particular job or stay in one because their spouses or friends think it is the best thing for them. So they spend years feeling frustrated, resenting their work mates just because they don’t love what they do. 


Earlier this week I had a chat with a workmate. She told me how she can’t wait for August to arrive so that she could start University and do her masters. She hates her current job and is merely passing the time and going through the motions. I feel for her, really and I told her I noticed how sad she looks.

 

Socially and romantically how many of you do things just to keep up the appearances. I see many guys, in fact I have been one of them forced to go on a shopping spree with a woman. I don’t want to be there, but I am forced to be. To keep the peace, to make the other party happy, to score some points. For whatever reason, truth of the matter is I was not doing it for myself. I didn’t want to do it, let alone love doing it. 


Countless people will buy a particular car, outfit, move into a particular house or attend an event, not because they want to but just because everyone else is or it is expected. Classic example was Kampala, UB40 rolled into two. everyone and their grandma wanted to be there. Yes UB40 is a great band, but i certainly have never felt their much that much save for a couple of songs. so i did not jump onto that bandwagon, but trust i know loads of people who did. and why so they could be see or say there were at the show. (funny enough is that some of them wanted me to pay for them. that's a story for another day!)


So what is the solution? 


Do you bury your head in the sand and ignore the rest of the world? not possible. we do not live in isolation and so we cannot get away with doing things just for us cases in point: parents, boyfriends and husbands. However, this should not deprive us of some happiness. I say carve out that space that makes you happy then maximise on it. There is no way we can be happy 100 percent 24-7, however we can find some portion of time or some place where we truly do something that makes us happy. that time where you are uncompromising, selfish and self centred. Do things for you and you alone. No-one else! indulge in these moments, times, places and then get back to trying to please the rest of the world, who knows you might find you love it so much you end up doing it entirely. 


Do you think Tiger Woods, Donald Trump, Bill Gates, 50 Cent love what they do? 


Sure they do and there is no reason why you shouldn’t. maybe not now but certainly at some point. i am determined that once i have made my fortune, i will retire and study psychology and own and manage my own football team. i will also open up a nightclub and fulfill my fantasy of being a DJ. 


at that time i will be able to say i am truly doing what i love. I cant wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment